Report Abuse and Neglect

Who Should Report Abuse and Neglect?

In Ontario, it is the law to report suspected child abuse or neglect. contact your local children’s aid.

Windsor-Essex, 519-252-1171
Leamington, 519-322-0555

In 1999, there were several changes to the child welfare legislation providing greater protection for children, giving more rights to case workers in investigations and expanding the responsibility of the community to report suspected cases of abuse or neglect. Section 72 of the Child and Family Services Act now indicates that every individual is required to report abuse or neglect concerns to their local children’s aid and they must do so themselves and not delegate the call to any other individual.

How to Report Abuse or Neglect

If you suspect abuse or neglect or if a child tells you he or she is being abused, report information to your local children’s aid society immediately. If a child tells you he or she has been abused, listen to the child, write down the facts after the conversation and report it to the authorities yourself immediately.